March 7, 2023
CALL FOR PAPERS: Museum Leadership in Climate Action Call for papers, Conferences, Highlights
CALL FOR PAPERS AND ARTICLES
In November 2023 ICOM Paraguay hosts an International Conference
MUSEUM LEADERSHIP IN CLIMATE ACTION
Together with four International Committees of ICOM: ICMAH, INTERCOM, ICTOP and MPR.
Dates: 15 – 17 November 2023
Venue: Museo de ITAIPU Tierra Guaraní, Hernandarias, Paraguay
The eco-friendly conference will focus on in-person participation at the venue in Paraguay with an emphasis on sustainability. One extraordinary online presentation will be allowed for each of four sessions. Some parts of the program will be livestreamed and/or recorded. Posters will be announced at a later date.
There are two formats of submissions with different criteria: Papers and Articles. You may submit in only one format.
We welcome a diversity of submissions that inform the sector on what is being done and what needs to be done by museums and cultural heritage sites in response to the challenges of the Anthropocene, the geological age when human activity started to have a significant and negative impact on our planet’s climate and ecosystems.
Conference partners invite ICOM members and other museum professionals to submit an abstract of an original academic and professional contribution to the study and practice of the conference topic. We welcome a diversity of submissions that can inform the sector on what is being done and what needs to be done by museums and cultural heritage sites in response to the challenges of the Anthropocene, the geological epoch when human activity started to have a significant and negative impact on our planet’s climate and ecosystems.
As leaders in the museum and cultural heritage sector, it is our responsibility to be knowledgeable and proactive in modeling and advocating the shift towards more sustainable and climate friendly solutions for our museums, our communities, and our world. What kinds of skills and competencies do we need to acquire? What is the new curriculum for the museum sector at the university level and for continuing training? What new perspectives, policies, practices, and programs should we adopt? How do we inspire and support innovative solutions? How do we educate and engage donors, partners, communities, and younger generations? How can we effectively communicate what we are doing? How do we know when and if we are making a difference?
All proposals submitted will be assessed for relevance to the conference topic by a review committee consisting of representatives by the organizational bodies and will be published with ISBN number, in English and Spanish languages as an e-book edition.
TOPICS, THEMES AND STRUCTURE OF THE CONFERENCE
The conference will be structured in different sessions formed according to the topics in two main areas – challenges and responses.
1. WELCOME TO THE ANTHROPOCENE – MEETING THE CHALLENGES
2. CREATING AND INNOVATING SUSTAINABLE SOLUTIONS
We encourage proposals that share different perspectives and welcome contributions that address the following, non-exhaustive, list of topics:
WELCOME TO THE ANTHROPOCENE – MEETING THE CHALLENGES:
- Shifting to eco-friendly boards, partners, sponsors, donors.
- Incorporating and advancing eco-friendly missions, values, policies, practices, infrastructure, and/or operations.
- Staff hiring, training, and new expertise needed to meet the challenges of the Anthropocene.
- Documenting and reporting our institutional impact on the environment. – Developing citizen and future scientists/researchers/historians/archaeologists/advocates.
- Branding, social media, communications, and/or marketing that illustrate climate change and inspire climate action.
CREATING AND INNOVATING SUSTAINABLE SOLUTIONS:
- Advancing and advocating for human rights and climate justice.
- Supporting the critical role of indigenous stewardship of natural and cultural heritage.
- Adopting a strategic mindset and leading for sustainable organizational and/or societal changes.
- Safeguarding museum collections and heritage sites for the future.
- Inclusive and accessible climate actions of museums and cultural heritage sites.
- Exhibitions, outreach, and programming that inspire and engage children, families, communities, affinity groups, and/or new audiences.
Abstracts of 300 words maximum, written in English / Spanish should be submitted for selection by filling the form here
It must include:
- Author(s) details (names, affiliations, e-mails of all authors)
- Author(s) short bio (70 words maximum not included in the word count)
- 3-5 key words. – Aim, context, and objectives of the paper.
- Acknowledgement to be physically present at the conference*
- Methodological approach
- Summary of the main or expected results and conclusions
- From 3 to 5 main references (not included in the word count)
* Or provide a feasible justification why you are unable to attend in person
The abstracts will be examined on a blind review basis by the joint Review Committee based on the following selection criteria:
- Consistency of the objectives, approach, and argumentation structure.
- Methodological framework.
- Relevance and connection to the main theme of the Conference.
- Contribution to knowledge.
Please consider that approved works can only be presented if an author or a co-author is registered to the Conference main program and present in person. Each author may submit one proposal only as the main author. There is no limitation for the participation as a co-author. Please consider that presentations will be no longer than 15 minutes and must be delivered in English or Spanish.
- 30 May 2023: Deadline for abstracts proposals.
- 15 June: Authors are communicated the selection.
- 1 October: Final papers are due (5,000-7,000 words maximum). Further information will be provided in due course.
IMPORTANT: Please note that no conference fee is charged. If you have any questions regarding the event’s organization please write to email@example.com
YOU CAN DOWNLOAD CALL FOR PAPER IN ENGLISH AND SPANISH HERE
YOU CAN DOWNLOAD CALL FOR ARTICLES IN ENGLISH AND SPANISH HERE